April showers bring May flowers; most people are familiar with this saying. The month of May is filled with the sounds of birds, the smell of fresh flowers, and summer breezes from time to time. The month marks the end of spring and the beginning of summer. There is growing anticipation of backyard barbecue get-togethers, outdoor activities, and beach parties.
Five Minutes or Less Health Tip: Protect Your Skin
Take a few minutes to protect your skin and help prevent diseases:
- Put on sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher and with both UVA and UVB protection. Reapply sunscreen after swimming and excessive sweating.
- Seek shade and consider wearing a wide-brimmed hat.
- Cover up with clothing and sunglasses.
- Avoid using tanning beds and sunlamps.
May’s Character Trait:
Gratitude — Feeling and expressing thankful appreciation for benefits received.
May Is the Month of:
- Mother’s Day: The most popular of the special days that occur in May. It is celebrated on the second Sunday of the month and is a day to appreciate moms all around the world.
- Memorial Day: Falls on the last Monday of the month. It was originally known as Decoration Day. It commemorates the U.S. soldiers who died in military service.
- Cinco de Mayo: A celebration and observance of Mexican culture. Traditions for this special day include traditional Mexican food, music, and dance. Cinco de Mayo commemorates Mexico’s victory over the French during the Battle of Puebla.
- National BBQ Month
May Recipe: Glazed Salmon with Broccoli Rice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 head broccoli, florets only, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 pieces skinless salmon fillet (1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat the broiler. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions, stirring in the broccoli during the last three minutes.
- Let the rice and broccoli stand off the heat until the broccoli is tender (about five minutes). Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, place the salmon and onion on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Broil until the salmon is opaque throughout (eight to 10 minutes), spooning half the soy sauce glaze over the fish during the last two minutes of cooking.
- Serve the salmon and onion with the rice and the remaining glaze.
May Your Summer Be the Best One Yet — Congratulations from Campus Advantage!
As another academic year comes to an end, your management team and everyone here at Campus Advantage would like to congratulate you on a job well done. Being a successful college student or young professional takes a lot of effort, and you deserve credit for all of your hard work!
Over the past year, we hope you’ve taken advantage of all the opportunities that we’ve provided for you to connect with your neighbors, learn new skills, stay on top of your academic game, set yourself up for career success, and open your eyes to new perspectives and adventures.
Some of you may be graduating this year, some may be headed to summer classes. Maybe your hours will be spent at a summer internship or enjoying the sun on a vacation. Wherever your summer months take you, we want you to stay connected with us so we can continue to support you on your way. Consider taking the following steps to ensure your continued success as a resident of Campus Advantage:
- If you’re going to be gone for a significant part of the summer, make sure to prepay or schedule online payments so you don’t miss rent deadlines. Also, communicate your long-term absence with the management office so we can keep a pulse on who will be around this summer.
- If you haven’t already done so, sign up for a free account with the Campus Advantage Career Success portal to get resume assistance, job alerts, and tons of other resources to help you get a job!
- Got some free time? We’ll still be hosting some great events throughout the summer, so make sure to join us for some fun! Also, don’t forget to get out and enjoy our outdoor space and amenities that might have gone forgotten in the winter months.
- If you’re looking for a quality job for the next academic year, stop by and talk to us in the management office about possible openings on our Community Assistant team!
- Finally, if you’re still on the fence about signing a lease for next year — don’t wait any longer! Spaces are going fast, and we want to make sure you’re able to call this community home for another year. Stop by and see us in the management office today to renew your lease or get leasing information for a friend.
Cheers to the end of your semester, and good luck on any pending exams and projects you may have! Make sure to check out the calendar for events going on this month, and follow your community on social media to connect and fuel up for May.
Healthy Snacks in the Office — May 11
Coffee and Donuts on the Go — May 12
Chocolate Chip Treat — May 15
May Birthdays — May 17