It’s officially summer at Tobin Lofts, and the weather’s heating up. This is an awesome time for all residents to enjoy the pool area as well as the clubhouse. If you’re excited about this summer, then chances are you’re ready to enjoy the beach and some water with friends.
Tips for College Students
If you’re planning a vacation this summer, make sure your apartment is secure. Ensure your doors are locked and that all of your important belongings are inside of your bed space. If you’re bored with your daily routine during the summer, change things up! Instead of spending the day on the couch, get out and volunteer for a cause you care about. Summer is a good time to try something new such as an art class or a new sport. Who knows, you might just find your new favorite hobby!
June Is the Month of:
World Environment Day (June 5) Candy Month International Sushi Day (June 18) National Gardening Week (first full week of June)
June Recipe: Deep-Dish Sausage Pizza
Ingredients: Dough: 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°) 1-3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour 1/4 cup vegetable oil 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil, and marjoram 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt 1/2 teaspoon onion salt Toppings: 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided 2 medium green peppers, chopped 1 large onion, chopped 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil, and marjoram 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, well drained 2 ounces sliced pepperoni Directions:
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 cup flour, oil, and seasonings; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6–8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; roll out into a 15-inch circle. Transfer to a well-greased 12-inch heavy ovenproof skillet or round baking pan, letting dough drape over edges. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
- In a skillet, sauté the green peppers, onion, and seasonings in oil until tender; drain. Layer half of the mixture over the crust. Layer with half of the Parmesan, sausage, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with 2 cups mozzarella. Repeat layers. Fold crust over to form an edge.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with pepperoni and remaining mozzarella. Bake until crust is browned, 10–15 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Reminders & Updates
Stay posted for all of our events, and be sure to come out with your friends/roommates. Also, there has been a lot of pet waste left on each floor; please take your dogs and/or cats outside. We have a wonderful pet area as well as waste trash bags, so utilize them to the fullest. Please refrain from vandalizing the vending machines by shaking/hitting them. If one is found vandalizing a vending machine, there will be a minimum $100 fine per occurrence. Thank you in advance!
Summer Like a Local
Whether you’re going home or staying put for the summer, take advantage of all our community has to offer! Summers can be a great chance to enjoy the area in some new and different ways. With the hectic pace of school, many students miss out on opportunities to get involved and have fun in their local community during the academic year — it’s time to change that! From festivals to parks and local attractions, below are some ways you can summer like a local. As a bonus, most of them are either free or very affordable!
- Do something touristy
- Visit a farmers market
- Check out a local sporting event
- Visit your Chamber of Commerce website to find out about local attractions
- Find a calendar of nearby fairs and festivals
- Enjoy Fourth of July festivities and fireworks
- Hike or bike a nearby trail
- Volunteer with a local organization
- Have a picnic
- Go to an outdoor movie or concert
- Run or walk a local 5K
We’ll also be planning events and activities for you throughout the summer, and if you need ideas for other fun things to do in the area, please let us know. We have information on area resources and a local calendar of events on hand to give you plenty of options. Have a memorable and fun summer!
Summer Giveaway — All Month — Stop by the office to enter your name into a drawing for the chance to get a summer basket full of goodies and treats to prepare you for the summer months. The winner will be announced on June 30.
Iced Tea Bar — June 4 @ 3 p.m. — Feeling thirsty? Stop by the office to customize your own flavor of tea.
World Oceans Day — June 7 @ 6 p.m. — Even though the beach is far away, there’s still a chance to come by the office and fish for prizes!
Juice Joint — June 12 — Slurp, slurp! Come by the Juice Joint bar for the chance to order and choose from a variety of beverages to hydrate in this warm weather. The time for this event will be posted closer the day of the event.
Hot Dog Eating Contest — June 14 @ 5 p.m. — Do you think you can stomach these foods and beat other contestants? Who will be the champ in this standoff?
Pool Party — June 18 @ 3:30 p.m. — It’s summertime, and what’s better than food and drinks near the pool? Come by the pool for a dip and to cool off!
Taste from Around the World: East Coast — June 20 @ 3 p.m. — Pizza itself is boring, so it’s time to put a spin on it. Join us in the office for pizza in a cone! It’s fun and super delicious, and a quick and easy snack while on the go this summer.
Tobin Box Challenge — June 24 @ 6 p.m. — Tasting, hearing, touching, and smelling must be present for you to succeed in this game. Bring your roommates to the clubhouse and face off for the chance to win!
Summer Olympics — June 26 @ 1 p.m. — Get your team together at the pool/clubhouse to compete for the Tobin Lofts Olympic Games! Who will be crowned champion?