Hi, Tobin Lofts residents! Hope everyone is having a great Independence month filled with exciting plans to celebrate our country’s freedom. There’s a lot in store for the month of July, with the 4th of July being the most awaited by many people. We’re sure everyone is busy with vacations and events, but with such a big month upon us, there are a few highlights and updates that Tobin Lofts would like you to keep in mind.
The 4th of July is upon us! This big holiday is the day on which the United States adopted the Declaration of Independence to declare the country free from Great Britain. With such a big day to celebrate, Tobin Lofts would like to provide a delicious and easy recipe for residents to make on this hot July holiday — see the recipe under our Community Events Calendar!
Reminders & Updates
Tobin Lofts wants to remind everyone to be safe during this busy holiday month, and not to drink and drive! Instead, use our cab service to get to and from events. To use this service, call (210) 222-2222. Have a safe and happy 4th of July!
Find Your Campus Advantage
With summer in full swing, you might be finding yourself with some extra time on your hands. While we love to hear all about how you fill your summers with fun trips and activities, baseball games, and farmers’ markets, this time of year can also be perfect for gearing up your professional side. Check out some of the tips below on how you can give yourself the “Campus Advantage” above your peers this summer:
- Visit your campus career center. Since it is summer, they are often less busy and can give you individual support for updating your resume or prep you for an upcoming interview.
- Even if you don’t absolutely need a job this summer, consider finding a low-key part-time position that could provide you with some extra resume experience. Consider positions with transferable skills that would benefit your major.
- Find a new volunteer opportunity or organization to join that fits a hobby of yours or helps others. Giving back looks great on your resume, makes a difference, and makes you feel good at the same time!
- Hard to believe that shopping can help your professional game, but stores often have sales in the summer months on business wear, so check out the racks to see if you can find a few classic interview-appropriate pieces for the fall.
- Stop by the management office and let them know what kind of events they could host this summer/fall to help make you successful!
Share how you’re going to boost your success this summer with other Campus Advantage residents by posting on social media with the hashtag #CASummerSuccess.
Community Events Calendar
S’mores by the Pool — Friday, July 3 from 7:00–8:30 p.m.
Frito Pie in the Leasing Office — Tuesday, July 7 from noon–2:00 p.m.
Nachos in the Leasing Office — Wednesday, July 15 from noon–2:00 p.m.
Hot Dogs by the Pool in Honor of National Hot Dog Day — Thursday, July 23 from noon–1:00 p.m.
Sunday Funday Pool Party — Sunday, July 26 from noon–3:00 p.m.
Red, White, and Blue Ice Cream Sandwiches
1 box (1 lb 2.25 oz) Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ chocolate fudge cake mix
½ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ quarts vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
1 ½ cups chopped fresh strawberries
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 18×12-inch half-sheet pan with shortening or cooking spray or line with cooking parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, stir cake mix, butter, vanilla, and eggs until well blended (batter will be thick). Spread in pan (you may need to use greased hands to spread evenly). Bake 12 minutes or until set but still soft. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, line 12×9-inch pan with cooking parchment or waxed paper. In large bowl, stir ice cream, blueberries, and strawberries. Spread in pan. Freeze until firm, about two hours.
- Cut cake into six rows by four rows for 24 three-inch squares. Remove ice cream from freezer. Cut into four rows by three rows for 12 three-inch squares. Sandwich one ice cream square between two cake squares. Serve immediately, or wrap individually in plastic wrap or foil and store in freezer.