As we bring in the new year, we hope that you enjoyed the holiday season with the special individuals in your life — family and friends — and good food.
Winter Tips for College Students
As the new semester arrives, this is the time to start setting goals for what you would like to accomplish this year. Get a notebook and a pen and start writing out your New Year’s resolutions. Set a goal to make all A’s by the end of the semester, or save for that new car you saw at the dealership.
Butt is actually a British measuring unit equivalent to 125 U.S. gallons or 105 imperial gallons.
January Is the Month of:
National Spaghetti Day (January 4)
Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January 21)
Compliment Day (January 24)
Backward Day (January 31)
January Recipe: Slow-Cooker Pork Tacos
3 whole ancho chiles
3 whole pasilla chiles
4 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
2 to 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
1/2 medium white onion, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
3 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (untrimmed), cut into chunks
Freshly ground pepper
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
Corn tortillas, warmed, for serving
Assorted taco toppings, for garnish
1. Put the ancho and pasilla chiles and the garlic in a bowl; add 2 to 3 tablespoons water. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes until soft and pliable. Stem and seed the chiles; peel the garlic. Transfer the chiles and garlic to a blender.
2. Add the chipotles, onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, and the oregano to the blender; puree until smooth. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat; add the chile sauce and fry, stirring until thick and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and reduce until slightly thickened.
3. Season the pork all over with salt and pepper, and transfer to a large slow-cooker. Add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick, then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on high until the meat is tender, about 5 hours. (Or cook the meat in a large Dutch oven, covered, for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and cook 30 more minutes.)
4. Discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Shred the pork with two forks; season with salt and peper. Serve the shredded pork in the tortillas, along with toppings.
Reminders & Updates:
Stay posted for all of our events, and be sure to come out with your friends/roommates. Also, there has been a lot of pet waste left on each floor; please take your dogs and/or cats outside. We have a wonderful pet area as well as waste trash bags, so utilize them to the fullest. Please refrain from vandalizing the vending machines by shaking/hitting them. If one is found vandalizing a vending machine, there will be a minimum $100 fine per occurrence. Thank you in advance!
Resolve to Make 2019 Amazing
Welcome to the start of a new year! Your satisfaction and success in 2019 tops our list of goals. What are yours? Here are a few tips to help you move from survive to THRIVE in 2019:
- Get connected! Here in the community, don’t miss out on the opportunity to meet your neighbors, make new friends, and have fun at our events. If there’s an experience we can create for you, please let one of our team members know. Outside of your living environment, take advantage of the many ways you can get involved on campus and in the surrounding area. Please reach out to our team for suggestions of places to go and things to do. We’ll hook you up!
- Define success. What is your next big goal? Is it graduation? Finding that perfect internship or job? Achieving a certain GPA? Take time as 2019 ramps up to envision where you see yourself in the next 12 months. Write down your picture of success and refer to it often! Ask yourself this key question regularly: Is what I am doing today getting me closer to my goal?
- Use your resources. Don’t try to do this alone! Use the resources you have available to help you achieve greatness in 2019. Our team is here for you, whether you have a question about your residential experience or something completely unrelated. If we don’t know the answer, we’ll find someone who can help. When it comes to your career and financial success, be sure to take advantage of our resident-specific resources, including:
- Career Success Portal: Build your resume, practice interviewing, get access to millions of job listings, and much more! Utilize this EXCLUSIVE resource for our residents.
- RentTrack: Have your rent payments reported to all three credit bureaus, and get monitoring and credit protection. Residents have seen their credit scores jump an average of 46 points with just a few months of reporting!
Because you’ve chosen to live at a Campus Advantage community, you have a team behind you, dedicated to helping you have the best experience possible. We’re here for you and can’t wait to see you succeed in 2019 and beyond!
P.S. Be sure to connect with us on our social media accounts so you can stay in the loop!
National Spaghetti and Trivia Day — January 4
DIY Bubble Bath and Relax — January 8
Fruit Cups — January 10 — Stop by the office for a fruit cup on the go! Start your day off fresh and healthy.
Bagels on the Go — January 15 — Don’t start your morning on an empty stomach. Stop by the office for a bagel and many wonderful toppings.
DIY Vision Boards — January 17 — Make your dreams a reality with a DIY craft to help motivate you in the new year.
DIY Muddy Buddies — January 21
Snacking Friday — January 25 — Stop by the office for fresh fruits, veggies, and granola bars.
Painting with Friends — January 29 — Similar to painting with a twist, but this time you have the chance to decorate a masterpiece for your apartment. Be sure to bring your roommate(s) and/or friend(s).