It’s hard to believe that April is here, and we say this every month but, goodbye March and hello April. Goodbye to the wind and the cold, and say hello to green grass and flowers. Thanks to all of you for your support and input around the community. In addition, thank you to all the residents who participated in Career Week. Our goal was to continue to build a community of professionals through resume building, professional headshots, and an exclusive webinar. Stay tuned for the awesome activities we have planned for this month.
Tips to Keep Your Apartment Super Clean:
- This is rule number one for a reason! If you don’t love or use an item, why do you still have it? Ditch the clutter and free up space. Open spaces appear cleaner, and bonus — you won’t have to dust as many things!
- Clean as you go. Make sure your dishwasher or sink is clear before cooking, and drop dishes in the washer and hand wash as you cook. That way, all you have to clean at the end of the meal is the pots and dishes you ate on! Moving from the living room to the bedroom at night? Fluff those pillows, straighten your things, and place things back where they go. The next morning, you will thank yourself for the clean room.
- Don’t buy things you don’t need. Refer to rule number one — if you don’t love it or use it, then why do you have it? Keep clutter to a minimum by only buying things you actually need, plus you’ll save money that might have otherwise been wasted on junk.
April’s Character Trait:
Adventurous — April-born people may hide their adventurous personality. Although they may seem to be quiet and steady, they avoid living a monotonous life.
April is the month of:
- April Fools’ Day
- Patriots’ Day
- Earth Day
- Stress Awareness Month
April Recipe: Spicy Chipotle Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate. Place the ground turkey, onion, cilantro, chipotle chili pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, and black pepper in a mixing bowl; mix well. Form into four patties.
- Cook the hamburgers on the preheated grill until the turkey is no longer pink in the center, about four minutes per side. Place the mozzarella slices on the patties two minutes before they are ready. Serve on the toasted buns.
Take the It’s On Us Pledge
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and as you may know, Campus Advantage has partnered with the White House to support the It’s On Us campaign to change the culture around sexual violence on college campuses. It’s On Us invites everyone to step up and realize that the solution begins with individuals. It’s a declaration that sexual assault is not only a crime committed by a perpetrator against a victim, but a societal problem in which all of us have a role to play. This pledge is a personal commitment to help keep women and men safe from sexual assault. It is a promise not to be a bystander to the problem, but to be a part of the solution.
Please read and share the following It’s On Us tips:
- Talk to your friends honestly and openly about sexual assault.
- Don’t just be a bystander — if you see something, intervene in any way you can.
- Trust your gut. If something looks like it may be a bad situation, it probably is.
- Be direct. Ask someone who looks like they may need help if they’re OK.
- Get someone to help you if you see something — enlist a friend, RA, bartender, or host to help step in.
- Keep an eye on someone who has had too much to drink.
- If you see someone who is too intoxicated to consent, enlist their friends to help them leave safely.
- Recognize the potential danger of someone who talks about planning to target another person at a party.
- Be aware if someone is deliberately trying to intoxicate, isolate, or corner someone else.
- Get in the way by creating a distraction, drawing attention to the situation, or separating them.
- Understand that if someone does not or cannot consent to sex, it is rape.
- Never blame the victim.
- 13. If you are a victim or survivor, or helping someone in that situation, go to notalone.gov to get the resources and information you need. You can also call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800-656-HOPE.
To learn more about It’s On Us and to take the pledge, please visit http://www.campusadv.com/its-on-us.
Community Events Calendar
Coke Float Party in the Leasing Office — Monday, April 4 from noon–2 p.m.
Tuesday Trivia in the Game Room — Tuesday, April 12 from 1–2 p.m.
Cupcake Wars — Sunday, April 17 from 2–4 p.m.
Earth Day Dirt Dessert in the Leasing Office — Friday, April 22 from 2–4 p.m.
Cookies and Milk Study Break — Thursday, April 28 from 12:30–2 p.m.
Fun in the Sun at Crockett Park — Saturday, April 30 from noon–2 p.m.