Summer is here, and we’ve got some hot deals going on. June will be a very busy month at Tobin Lofts, and you don’t want to miss any of our specials. We are halfway through 2017. Things are about to get better and better. We appreciate all the continued support from you all throughout the community because you truly motivate us to excel! Remember to check out our social media sites — Facebook (TobinLofts), Instagram (TobinLofts), Snapchat (TobinLofts), and Twitter (TobinLofts) — for our news and updates.
Summer Tips for College Students
No matter what your plans are this summer, try to make the most of your time away from school. You can start by soaking up the sun while you can. The warm weather won’t last forever, so have fun by our resort-style pool, and don’t forget the sunscreen! You can also, use the summertime to reconnect with people in your life. Spend time with loved ones. Take advantage of the opportunity to spend some quality time with your favorite people. Share highlights from your year, and catch up on what they have been up to while you were in school. Last but not least, give yourself a break! You absolutely deserve it after the stress of finals. After all, that’s what summer is for. Go for a walk, sleep, catch up on your favorite shows on Netflix, or read a book. Don’t forget to devote time to yourself.
According to some estimates, Americans are sitting on $30 billion worth of unredeemed gift cards.
June Is the Month of:
- Father’s Day
- National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month
- National Doughnut Day
- Best Friends Day
June Recipe: Homemade Doughnuts
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 3/8 cup milk (3 oz.)
- 2 tbsp. shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar (and extra for putting on donuts)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour, sifted (extra may be needed)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Vegetable oil for deep frying (or use canola oil, which is healthier)
- Stir vinegar in to milk and let stand for a few minutes until thick.
- Cream together sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and stir until blended.
- Sift together flour, salt, and soda. Stir in to sugar mixture, alternating with milk mixture to incorporate both thoroughly.
- Roll dough out thick, about 1/3 inch and cut in to doughnut shapes with a doughnut cutter. If you don’t have a doughnut cutter, you can use a large cup for the doughnuts and a narrow shot glass for the holes. Roll excess dough into small balls and flatten to make more doughnuts.
- Heat oil until it makes noise (about 375°F) and fry doughnuts.
Reminders & Updates
We’ll be having move-ins for new residents throughout the month. Please make sure to keep your common area tidy if you’ll be getting new roommates. Thank you in advance!
Summer Like a Local
Whether you’re going home or staying put for the summer, take advantage of all our community has to offer! Summers can be a great chance to enjoy the area in some new and different ways. With the hectic pace of school, many students miss out on opportunities to get involved and have fun in their local community during the academic year — it’s time to change that! From festivals to parks and local attractions, below are some ways you can summer like a local. As a bonus, most of them are either free or very affordable!
- Do something touristy
- Visit a farmers market
- Check out a local sporting event
- Visit your Chamber of Commerce website to find out about local attractions
- Find a calendar of nearby fairs and festivals
- Enjoy Fourth of July festivities and fireworks
- Hike or bike a nearby trail
- Volunteer with a local organization
- Have a picnic
- Go to an outdoor movie or concert
- Run or walk a local 5K
We’ll also be planning events and activities for you throughout the summer, and if you need ideas for other fun things to do in the area, please let us know. We have information on area resources and a local calendar of events on hand to give you plenty of options. Have a memorable and fun summer!
Please see the office for the monthly event calendar.