Have you taken that vacation yet or gone on that cruise to the Bahamas? Well, it’s the perfect time as the weather is great, sometimes! Summers are synonymous with holidays because we get a two-month break from school during the hottest time of the year. Don’t sleep in late as the mornings are the cool hours of the day — and most productive, too.
Tips for College Students
If you’re planning a vacation this summer, make sure your apartment is secure. Ensure your doors are locked and that all of your important belongings are inside of your bed space. If you’re bored with your daily routine during the summer, change things up! Instead of spending the day on the couch, get out and volunteer for a cause you care about. Summer is a good time to try something new such as an art class or a new sport. Who knows, you might just find your new favorite hobby! It’s also a great time to learn a new skill to add to your resume.
July Is the Month of:
Unlucky month for weddings
National Strawberry Sundae Day (July 7)
Amelia Earhart Day (July 24)
Capture the Sunset Week (third week of July)
July Recipe: Spicy Grilled Shrimp
1 large clove garlic
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 wedges lemon, for garnish
- Preheat grill for medium heat.
- In a small bowl, crush the garlic with the salt. Mix in the cayenne and paprika, then stir in the olive oil and lemon juice to form a paste. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the garlic paste until evenly coated.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Cook shrimp for 2–3 minutes per side, or until opaque. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with lemon wedges, and serve.
Reminders & Updates
Stay posted for all of our events, and be sure to come out with your friends/roommates. Also, there has been a lot of pet waste left on each floor; please take your dogs and/or cats outside. We have a wonderful pet area as well as waste trash bags, so utilize them to the fullest. Please refrain from vandalizing the vending machines by shaking/hitting them. If one is found vandalizing a vending machine, there will be a minimum $100 fine per occurrence. Thank you in advance!
Have a Successful Summer with CA!
With summer in full swing, you might be finding yourself with some extra time on your hands. Summer can be an amazing time to have fun, enjoy trips and activities, attend baseball games, go to a farmers market, and much more. But summer can also be perfect for gearing up professionally! Check out some of the following tips on how you can give yourself the “Campus Advantage” above your peers this summer:
- Visit your campus’s career center. Since it’s summer, they are often less busy and can give you individual support for updating your resume or prepping you for an upcoming interview.
- Log in to your resident portal and take advantage of the numerous resources in the Campus Advantage Career Success Portal!
- Even if you don’t absolutely need a job this summer, consider finding a low-key part-time position that could provide you with some extra resume experience. Consider positions with transferable skills that would benefit your major.
- Find a new volunteer opportunity or organization to join that fits a hobby of yours or helps others. Giving back looks great on your resume, makes a difference, and makes you feel good at the same time!
- Hard to believe that shopping can help your professional game, but stores often have sales on business wear during the summer. Check out the racks to see if you can find a few classic interview-appropriate pieces for the fall.
- Stop by the management office and let them know what kind of events they could host this summer/fall to help make you successful!
Share how you’re going to boost your success this summer with other Campus Advantage residents by posting on social media with the hashtag #CASummerSuccess.
Pre-Fourth of July Party — July 3 @ 4:30 p.m. — Join us for some fun in the sun! We’re celebrating America’s independence with a pre-Fourth of July party. We’ll have barbecue, games with prizes, refreshments, and more!
Fireworks Ice Cream Pop Bombers — July 5 @ 1 p.m. — Didn’t get your fireworks fix over the holiday? Stop by the office to indulge in this frozen treat that’s a blast from our childhood. *While supplies last.*
Aguas Frescas/Fresh Fruit — July 8, All Day — Feeling parched and looking for something to quench your thirst? Stop by the clubhouse and let us help you cool down this summer as you hang out at our resort-style pool.
National Kitten Day (Pet Photo Contest) — July 10, All Day — Does your furry friend have what it takes to win? Submit a photo of your cat to the front office to see if they get voted the cutest by the Tobin staff.
Slushie Happy Hour — July 12 @ 3 p.m. — Everyone loves a good slushie to help them cool off during this humid weather. A variety of flavors will be yours to choose from, so stop by the office before they’re gone!
Meet Your Neighbors Mixer — July 16 @ 6 p.m. — Curious to see who will be moving in with you for the fall? Join us in the clubhouse for your chance to connect and mingle to meet new friends and bond with future roommates!
Farewell Pool Party and Cookout with DJ — July 19 from 2–5 p.m. — We hate to see you go as your stay with us has been wonderful. As a thank you, join us for one last hoorah by the pool.
Cleaning Supplies — July 22–26 — Move-out day is right around the corner, and it’s recommended to make sure your apartment is spic and span. Come by the office to grab all your cleaning needs to make your apartment sparkle! *While supplies last.*
Paletas by the Pool — July 22 @ 1 p.m. — Cookies and cream, chocolate, mango, strawberry — who doesn’t love a good paleta? Come by to grab a sweet frozen treat to enjoy.
Stop and Swap for Move-Out — July 23 — Have anything you want to get rid of before moving out? Well, here’s your chance. Stop by the clubhouse to give away new or gently used items, and swap with other residents for a chance to walk away satisfied.
National Chili Dog Day — July 25 @ 2 p.m. — Yee-haw! This meal is delicious and easy, especially for the summer.
Kool-Aid Bar — July 30 @ 2 p.m. — Oh yeah! Come to the office for the perfect refresher while you cool off in this summer heat.